Witch hazel, Nostell Priory, New Year's Day

January weather is not expected to be good so a suggestion of lighter cloud in the west had us travelling through the gloom and driving rain to Nostell Prior near Wakefield. This was not the weather to distract me from my hoped for villa somewhere warm but we trudged through the mud, saw a touch of blue in the sky and enjoyed one of the witch hazels planted some three years ago. My phone doubled as a camera but it was worth it. I suspect the variety to be Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida' and in a more favoured spot than my own that is a few weeks off yet I fear. I arrived home to discover my own red variety looking quite good in the cold drizzle so I collected my camera and ... decided to have a coffee in the warmth. Always another day for photography. Oh, and have a great New Year!




5 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you as well.
    You're right, it doesn't look like the view from the villa but if it helps we're only just getting into winter and it will be at least two months before the ground begins to thaw again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had any snow as yet. Usually if we get through January without the white stuff we survive. That villa is a source of some deep consideration in our household. The 51% shareholder in the business is not convinced as yet, the minority stakeholder working on it. Happy New Year to you. And, by the way, I've written a comment on your excellent snowdrop section of your website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the smell of these plant... It remembers me when my daughter was 1year old and our ganden was full of freesias..; I think their perfume is similar...

    I just wrote a comment about your E.A. Bowles snowdrop family :)
    Happy new year!!!!!!!

    Dulce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freesias ... now they are heavenly and strangely enough remind me of the birth of our own daughter, Emma. I brought them to the hospital. I do have a daphne that is heavenly for scent. I'll blog about it in the next week.

      Delete
  4. What a gift..... to dress up memories with aromas... with the perfumes of the Earth..

    ReplyDelete

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'