Parcevall Hall Gardens, Yorkshire, 3rd June 2010

I have previously posted about Parcevall Hall Gardens and their March bulbs and blossom. Now it is June in this peaceful sanctuary at the heart of Wharfedale in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Commenced by Sir William Milner in 1927 the terraced gardens are situated at the head of a valley and embrace forest, fells and a fertile soil, both acid and alkaline. We commence with a view of the fells and, after a climb, down to what I believe to be Trollers Gill where a motorised shepherd was herding his flock.





The rock gardens are fantastic at any time of year, full of interest, Primula pulverulenta and hostas.




 

The hall is now a retreat for the newly formed diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales. I claim no divine intervention myself though I did finally make the decision to retire whilst staying nearby during this break. I have never regretted the decision. And rarely have I seen a display of wisteria to match these gardens. The United Kingdom may be crowded in parts but not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'