In the beginning, or almost .... an alpine garden from seed.

It hurts my eyes, but here we are way back in 1978 I think, our daughter and my second garden. Our second daughter was born that autumn.We had a semi-detached house on a slope. Poor as church mice at that time, the stone was a big investment from the local quarry in Billinge, Lancashire. No money for plants in those days so I grew everything, save for the bulbs, from seed. There was a public footpath at the bottom of the slope and folk used to pause to admire the garden much to my great pleasure. Aubretia, helianthemum, campanula, sedum, saxifraga for pennies, catalogues galore and a gradual use for my elementary schoolboy Latin.

1 comment:

  1. Always fun to remember what our garden looked like, way back when we started.

    ReplyDelete

And remembering .....

Galanthus 'Mighty Atom'